Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1st Project of new quarter

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Notes polycounter lvl 4
First project of the quarter for school :) I'll be working from Artyom Vlaskin's concept.
Project_01.jpgProject_01.jpg
I really like this guys concepts...he has intricate yet cleans designs with good silhouettes. http://banderlog.cghub.com/ I've convinced my teacher to present this project real time in UDK instead of maya/max. We have 5 weeks for this in which I will attempt create the high and low poly, unwrap,zbrush sculpt details that max can't handle, hand paint to match Vlaskins style, then to udk for the finish.

1st Update;

Clipboard02.jpgClipboard02.jpg

Finished the high poly of the reading area. Some pieces are missing just cause I'll duplicate them after the high poly bake anyways.

Posting it here as well so maybe I can get some crits along the way :)

Replies

• Bombshell
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    fixed it...thanks bombshell :)

quick update: Pillars
    Clipboard03.jpg
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
  • Shanthosa
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good! I'd love to see some closer shots of the details. Also it looks like you have one extra step there. The ones in the reference look a little shallower too. I'm sure that will all be a lot more obvious once there are other objects to relate it too haha. Looking forward to more of this!
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Good call on the steps Shanthosa; took care of it :)
    Recent update:
    Clipboard05.jpg
    Lamps..the one on the right is the high poly thats going to be used to create normals from.

Clipboard04.jpg
    Instead of bending the mesh first, I was thinking of unwraping it straight then using the bend modifier later. This way I can use a tiled texture of bricks to save uv space.

Clipboard06.jpg
    Closer shot for details :)
    Now I gotta start on my other "less" fun work :P Any of you ever have more than 1 project at a time but only one gets the most attention??? :P
  • Shanthosa
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    Looking real nice. Those images are not showing up in your post for me though. Copying and pasting the URL worked. The detail shot is great, can't wait to see more.
  • ImsumDave
    Offline / Send Message
    ImsumDave polycounter lvl 11
    fixed that for you:
    Notes wrote: »
    Good call on the steps Shanthosa; took care of it :)
    Recent update:
    Clipboard05.jpg
    Lamps..the one on the right is the high poly thats going to be used to create normals from.

Clipboard04.jpg
    Instead of bending the mesh first, I was thinking of unwraping it straight then using the bend modifier later. This way I can use a tiled texture of bricks to save uv space.

Clipboard06.jpg
    Closer shot for details :)
    Now I gotta start on my other "less" fun work :P Any of you ever have more than 1 project at a time but only one gets the most attention??? :P

In order for the images to show up, you'll have right click your image(while viewing normally on postimage.org) and select open in new tab. This will open the image without any superfluous webpage elements; it's just the image, possibly directly from postimage's image server (I think). Use the URL from this new tab.

edit: After looking at your URL's in your post, I'm confused as to why your images didn't show for me. Looks like you already did what I suggested because the URL's were very similar. Perhaps the URL's expire and the images are moved, periodically, to prevent hotlinking.
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    ImsumDave wrote:

edit: After looking at your URL's in your post, I'm confused as to why your images didn't show for me. Looks like you already did what I suggested because the URL's were very similar. Perhaps the URL's expire and the images are moved, periodically, to prevent hotlinking.

I think that might be it cause I'll get instances where they'll show and sometimes they won't.

Last update till the boring part :P Unwrapping...
    any Z fighting on the screen are the low and high polys overlapping...not a pretty shot but all the assets are done.
    clipboard07vp.jpg
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Wanted to try and keep a progress of this but was super busy...in the mist of my other classes we moved into a house so that was hectic as all hell...in any case I had just turn this in the Friday that just past...teacher was pleased with the way it turned out...

6.jpg

7.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

After classes are over I'll come back with a few of the minor zbrush stuff, some of the tpages, and some changes that my teacher had suggested...once again always open to suggestions
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Looks cool.
    I think the floor and lighting could do with some work, especially the window, just looks way to strong (bright/saturated).
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    danpaz3d thanks for the reply working on the emissive on the windows..still coming up with an idea for the floor though...

btw, anyone know of a quick way to get quick previews of lighting in udk while using lightmass? I've adjusted the lightmap res accordingly from 32-2048 but the build times are still too long...thanks again fellas